Late Winner Condemns CDAC To First Loss Of Season

CD Almuñécar City conceded a 96th-minute winner as they suffered their first league defeat of the season after going down 3-2 away at Puerto de Motril.

Joe Montero handed the visitors an early advantage in the game, while Tobias Karlsen went close to doubling the lead in the second-half after his shot crashed against the crossbar.

The Norwegian striker found the net in the 79th-minute, but the game turned when the home side pulled a goal back shortly after.

This sparked a remarkable comeback for the home side, who went on to equalise on 89 minutes before scoring direct from a free-kick with the final kick of the game.

After picking up their first win of the season last weekend, manager Juan Carlos Añón handed a full debut to Montero and the American striker made an immediate impact.

With just six minutes on the clock, Bradley Booysen broke down the right side before crossing into the near post and Montero was on hand to steer the ball home.

The hosts grew into the game as both sides created openings in the first half-hour, with Taylor James and Emmanuel Ogunnubi going close.

CDAC looked to increase their advantage in the game and went close to doing that on 39 minutes. Karlsen intercepted a poor clearance, skipped away from defenders before firing wide of the target.

Juanlu, who was proving to be a real threat with his set-pieces, delivered a delightful ball into the penalty area two minutes later, but Booysen was unable to direct his header at goal.

Gabriel Mendoza was called into action in the closing stages, but it was CDAC that should’ve headed into half-time with a two-goal lead. Booysen got the better of the full-back and his cross flashed across the face of goal, but wasn’t able to be turned home.

With barely a minute on the clock in the second-half, the home side broke forward and Mendoza produced a terrific save to keep the scoreline as it was.

The visitors were denied by the bar after Karlsen sent his shot rifling against the woodwork, while, at the other end, the post came to CDAC’s rescue just after the hour mark.

At such an important moment in the game, CDAC scored a second goal as Karlsen kept his composure to fire across goal and into the bottom corner of the net.

However, two goals inside the space of four minutes ensured it was a nervous, and end-to-end, finish to the game in Motril. Both sides were on the ascendancy and looking for a winning goal.

In the first minute of additional time, Erick Mulu broke out from the back. The midfielder carried the ball forward and slipped the ball across to Karlsen, whose effort went agonisingly wide of the far post.

There was to be another twist in the game. A cruel one. Motril had a free-kick awarded out on the left, which was whipped into the box and nestled into the far corner of the net. It proved to be the final kick of the game as the referee’s final whistle blew seconds later.

CD Almuñécar City: Mendoza, Torres, Lee, James (C), Yamaguchi, Booysen, Mukweva, Juanlu, Ogunnubi, Montero, Karlsen

Substitutes: Odle, Belahfid, Wang, Fisher, Mulu, Peterson, Madrid

  • Twitter - White Circle
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle